Macanese style Po Kok Gai is Chinese fusion, it is basically a mild, slightly sweet chicken curry with a rich, creamy coconut sauce. It goes very well with rice and is very tasty with every bite.
Here's how I made it last night.
- 4 Chicken Legs (can be substitute with white meat, but dark meat will work better. Chop into smaller pieces
- 2 medium Potatoes (chop into small chunks)
- 1 large Onion (chop into small chunks)
- 6 large Fried Tofu Pieces (available in Chinese supermarket, absorbs all the goodness from the sauce, very delicious in curry. Chop into smaller pieces)
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 1 cup of Evaporated Milk
- 2 cans of Coconut Milk
- 2 tablespoons of dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of light soy sauce
- a few pinches of salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons of turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon of paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1 tablespoon of cooking oil
Step 1: Marinade chicken for at least an hour. In a large pot, saute chicken over high heat until the meat starts to turn brown. Add potato and onion chunks. Mix well and cook for another 15-20 minutes.